If your are a creative person, I am sure you have heard this,
"You've got so many things you want to do, just pick one thing and stick to it.."
"Well all those passions and goals sound nice and all, but you don't want to be a jack of all trades and of master of none do you.?."
and one of my "favorites"..
"If you keep pursuing all the different things you enjoy, no one is going to understand your brand, they'll be confused..."
Here's the thing, there was a time when I actually thought all of those remarks were true. Now? Not so much. I believe that you can absolutely pursue your many passions and even bring them all together to create a flourishing creative brand and business. And this is something multi passionate people have been doing for years.
Another name for people *like us* who pursue multiple passions is Multipotentialite which according to Wikipedia is...
“An educational and psychological term referring to a pattern found among intellectually gifted individuals. Because gifted students generally have diverse interests across numerous domains and may be capable of success in many endeavors or professions, they are confronted with unique decisions as a result of these choices.”
You CAN integrate your passions, transferring your energy, style, esthetic, expression, skill sets, expand your creative energies and drive to other projects.
In case you have ever doubted that it was possible, here is a high level list of creative professionals who are pursuing their many passions and interest, while still staying true to their identity and brand.
And if you need some guidance on HOW to go about blending all of your creative and artistic ideas and executing them, click HERE to learn how we can work together to do just that.
1. Erykah Badu- Musician, Actor, DJ, and Doula.. AND she is actually considering opening her own practice,
"We don’t know where these babies are coming from—their souls, or their spirits of mind, or if they’re born wholly as soon as they get here—but whatever it is, I just want the environment to be one of tranquility for the mom and dad and everyone involved. A home birth is about being able to create exactly what you want, because it’s such a violent moment inside of the body that you want everything else to be as beautiful as it can be. So I started studying to be a doula and got my certification in 2011 and now I’m in training to become a midwife. I’m almost there and before I know it I’ll be able to open my own practice, if that’s what I desire."
2. Lance Gross- Actor, model, and *yup* photographer. In an interview with JET Magazine Gross says,
“Photography, for me, it’s like my therapy,” Gross explains of his self-taught craft. “It’s something that I do when I’m on hiatus from working and something I feel like I own completely. As an actor, I’m still working for somebody else. It’s not completely mine.”
3. Oprah Winfrey- Talk show host, media mogul, Actor, Philanthropist, and Producer.
4. Gordon Parks- Photographer, musician, writer, and film director who became prominent in U.S. documentary photojournalism in the 1940s through the 70s. Parks was slow a musician and composer. As a writer, her wrote the book, The Learning Tree and continued to author several books of poetry, which he illustrated with his own photographs. He also wrote three volumes of memoirs. Was a painter AND the co-founder of ESSENCE Magazine.
5. Jill Scott- Singer, Actor, Writer/Poet. Published in 2005, Jill Scott's, In The Moments, the Minutes, the Hours: The Poetry of Jill Scott she shares her personal poetry collection.
6. Jamie Fox- Actor and Singer.
7. Terrance Howard- Actor and musician. In summer of 2008, Howard release and album titled Shine Through It which he wrote and produced.
8. Lenny Kravitz- Not only a singer and multi-instrumental list. But he also rock interior design and photography as well. Kravitz's design firm; Kravitz Design, provides commercial and residential design services as well as specializing in product development and branding. In Summer of 2015, Kravitz release his book titled "Flash" which features his photography where he captures the essence of what it’s like to be a rock star who’s constantly in the public eye.
9. Jayda Pinkett Smith- Actress, activist, philanthropist, AND leader of the band Wicked Wisdom.
10. Swizz Beatz- Producer, Visual Artist, and avid art collector.